Art Anarchy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Are you an artist? Writer? Musician? Or maybe just a creativity appreciator who likes to support others. Do you want to take the web back from the hands of CEOs and social media and algorithms? Join us. Let's revive the web.

HomePortalCalendarLatest imagesFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Favourite and most hated character tropes

Go down 
+2
xX_stukagoggles_Xx
Totel
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Totel
Admin
Totel

Favourite and most hated character tropes Empty
PostSubject: Favourite and most hated character tropes   Favourite and most hated character tropes I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 03, 2023 5:30 pm

Which ones do you hate, which ones do you like?
Back to top Go down
https://art-anarchy.forumotion.me
xX_stukagoggles_Xx

xX_stukagoggles_Xx

PostSubject: Re: Favourite and most hated character tropes   Favourite and most hated character tropes I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 05, 2023 9:47 pm

absolute worst imo is the whole miscommunication trope. like, when a character overhears someone say something and immediately jumps to the wrong conclusion (bonus points when they leave JUST before the other person says smth that would clear everything up). it makes me clench my tiny little fists in rage Evil or Very Mad just TALK TO EACH OTHER!!!!

sometimes it's borderline bearable if it actually serves the plot well, like shrek overhearing fiona talking about the whole "who could love a monster" thing.

on the other hand: my all time fave trope is Older Is Better, especially Break Out The Museum Piece/Resurrect the Wreck. call me easy to nostalgia bait, but everytime some outdated piece of technology (or retired character) has to save the day it gets me super excited.

two examples that immediately come to mind are jetfire from transformers revenge of the fallen / the f-14 from top gun maverick. those got me jumping in my seat at the theatre bounce

BraveCrab and wormie like this post

Back to top Go down
8bitdyke

8bitdyke

PostSubject: Re: Favourite and most hated character tropes   Favourite and most hated character tropes I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 05, 2023 9:51 pm

oh i HAAAAATE the like "funny" pervy characters i've encountered in anime sometimes they gross me out SOO much and it's not even funny !!!!!! you're making everybody uncomfortable by being a sexist asshole !! both the writer and the character themselves !!!!

seemingly very cool and blasé person (reluctantly) actually being real nice and down to earth though ???? i eat that shit UP (not saying wolfwood but this is kinda about wolfwood love that guy) it makes me so happy bc yeehaw don't judge a book by its cover etc etc

P.S. since @xX_stukagoggles_Xx posted while i was writing: yes to both of those !!! bounce i want to exploooode every time the miscommunication trope appears ARGGGGHHHH Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad i feel u so much can ppln just TALK also yes yes older is better is great !!! love that one Tbh sometimes u just have to get the big old guns out

xX_stukagoggles_Xx likes this post

Back to top Go down
Yodeling

Yodeling

PostSubject: Re: Favourite and most hated character tropes   Favourite and most hated character tropes I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 07, 2023 12:18 am

I love whenever two characters on different sides of a conflict are implied to have ezgif-5-a101131f4d history ezgif-5-a101131f4d

It's always so juicy and interesting and if they do it right, heartrending as well. Better if they had a big messy breakup too
Back to top Go down
epic

epic

PostSubject: Re: Favourite and most hated character tropes   Favourite and most hated character tropes I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 07, 2023 12:54 am

i absolutely despise pervy old man character tropes ToT which sucks bc i'm a dragon ball and one piece fan LMAO hell on earth. i don't like pervert characters in general, like it's just genuinely not funny, but with old men it has an extra layer of grossness to it :/

as for favorite tropes, i think i like gay divorceI MEAN rivalries or archnemisis type things. like archie and maxie from pokemon or octavio and cuttlefish from splatoon! i don't know if that necessarily counts as a trope since i suppose it's more of a fandom thing, but, i would just like to let it be known that i love hatred and divorce <3

another trope i like is villain domestication/redemption arcs, i think it's really funny when this guy who's been trying to kill the protagonists is just like, hangin out now, possibly still just as evil. dragon ball has a lot of it (piccolo, vegeta, beerus), and i love it. i also like begrudging partnerships with antagonists (buggy & luffy during the impel down arc, bowser in a lot of the side games, and frieza during the ToP saga), it's a similar niche to me, and equally as hilarious. you Will get up to shenanigans together so help me

wormie likes this post

Back to top Go down
Totel
Admin
Totel

PostSubject: Re: Favourite and most hated character tropes   Favourite and most hated character tropes I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 07, 2023 7:40 am

8bitdyke wrote:
oh i HAAAAATE the like "funny" pervy characters i've encountered in anime sometimes they gross me out SOO much and it's not even funny !!!!!! you're making everybody uncomfortable by being a sexist asshole !! both the writer and the character themselves !!!!

yeah ToT

and i know its mostly male characters, but i always remember negima, manga where it was ALL THE GIRLS. and the entire plot was just them being perverts and trying to fuck this literal child teacher. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
https://art-anarchy.forumotion.me
wormie

wormie

PostSubject: Re: Favourite and most hated character tropes   Favourite and most hated character tropes I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 07, 2023 6:28 pm

Cannot agree more with @xX_stukagoggles_Xx , that trope is SO overdone and so cheap and bad every single time. Also @epic is completely right about the anime pervert characters, that’s one of the main reasons I can’t watch anime regularly.

MY LEAST FAVORITE: besides what’s already been said, I HATE a lot of cheap ass tropes… but one that drives me up the wall is when the character has some exaggerated stutter in the fanfiction to make them seem more “uwu-ified”…. like “b- b- but please!” Especially when overused in a romance, it feels weird and infantalized to me, and that’s not how anyone talks in real life or how stutters work or how being scared works, and it feels weird and childlike and I don’t want childlike vibes in the romance and BLEH. Not cute.

MY FAVORITE: oh I fucking love human & nonhuman interactions where it takes the cultural differences seriously and uses the opportunity to explore something about humanity and human culture. I’m such a sucker for when tropes are actually the vessel to deliver a much more complicated story underneath. It’s why I love Star Trek and Dune, two sci-fi franchises where the tropes are used intelligently to create masterpieces that explore human nature as we know it….. ugh, so good.
Back to top Go down
xX_stukagoggles_Xx

xX_stukagoggles_Xx

PostSubject: Re: Favourite and most hated character tropes   Favourite and most hated character tropes I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 07, 2023 9:17 pm

wormie wrote:
but one that drives me up the wall is when the character has some exaggerated stutter in the fanfiction to make them seem more “uwu-ified”…. like “b- b- but please!”

i couldn't agree more, it always seems so silly to me but infantized is an even better way to describe it. i see that you mentioned star trek further down your post so i might add that i've encountered one (1) character where i appreciate the stutter actually: rom from ds9.

he stutters regularily but this man couldn't be further from uwu-ified. it feels very natural and fits his character imho

wormie likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Favourite and most hated character tropes   Favourite and most hated character tropes I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Favourite and most hated character tropes
Page 1 of 1