Art Anarchy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Are you an artist? Writer? Musician? Or maybe just a creativity appreciator who likes to support others. Do you want to take the web back from the hands of CEOs and social media and algorithms? Join us. Let's revive the web.

HomePortalCalendarLatest imagesFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Moondrop's Devlog - Desktop Puppet

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
MumiMoondrops

MumiMoondrops

Moondrop's Devlog - Desktop Puppet Empty
PostSubject: Moondrop's Devlog - Desktop Puppet   Moondrop's Devlog - Desktop Puppet I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 07, 2023 7:32 pm

making a dev-log thread for my desktop application/game project, Desktop Puppet ^^. feel free to follow along! the basic info about the software will be up here and the dev-logs posted below. feel free to ask questions, start conversation about it, etc.!

Desktop Puppet (IN-DEVELOPMENT)

Summary:
Remember desktop pets and desktop buddies? Y'know, Clippy, Bonzi Buddy, or even some of the modern successors such as Desktop Goose and Shimeji! Well, that's what Desktop Puppet is, a little puppet buddy on your desktop. Fully customizable and unique to you! Is it necessarily useful? Not really. Does it bring a bit of customization, personality, and fun to your computer life? Yes!

Basic Features

Puppet Movement - 0%
Basic Interaction - 0%
Basic SFX - 0%
Basic Art - 1%
UI - 0%
Customization Abilities - 0%
Customization Art - 0%

Extra/Updates/Fun

Easter Eggs - 0%
Minigames - 0%
Extra Interactions - 0%
Puppet House/Toybox - 0%
More TBA

cycyanart likes this post

Back to top Go down
MumiMoondrops

MumiMoondrops

PostSubject: Re: Moondrop's Devlog - Desktop Puppet   Moondrop's Devlog - Desktop Puppet I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 07, 2023 7:51 pm

DEV-LOG 7/7/23

Hullo! If you're reading this, then I'm glad you'd like to follow along on my journey here! I currently don't have much progress, and work on this has been slow, but I'm happy to share what I have so far.

First things first, the technical stuff:
I will be making this with Godot Game Engine. This will help me learn how to utilize the engine better, and will simplify certain things. I am using Godot V.4 for this, as it has capabilities for multiple windows. This will be useful for the Customization UI.
So, what we need to make the most basic desktop pet or desktop buddy is:
  • A transparent window (If the app window is transparent, then the buddy can be on your desktop without covering anything or interfering with your work visually. This is one of the most important first steps.)
  • An image for the pet (It's gotta be something, after all!)
  • Movement (If it just stands around, it's at most a pet rock.)

A transparent window is easy enough to set up. I had to look it up because I am not that experienced, but tutorials for Godot 3 were available on making transparent windows. All I had to do was figure out how to alter it to work with Godot 4 as things had changed between versions. I've gotten it to mostly work so far, although there is one weird issue. Although the color for the start-up screen is set to transparent, it shows as a semi-transparent grey box. Even if I disable start-up screen, it shows the box before cutting to the transparent window. It's not the worst, it certainly won't end the program, it's just a bit weird.

Moondrop's Devlog - Desktop Puppet Screenshot_245
As we can see, the little Godot man is visible without intrusion to the desktop! I wonder what he is thinking?

For now, the Godot icon image works for testing everything. However, when we get to making the puppet, things are gonna get more complicated due to the customization system. The body will need to be split into parts that work as a group, in some sense. Like an actual doll sorta. For now though, little silly icon. I don't have movement yet but that's because I've been busy with a lot lately

I have barely any art for the application done, but I do have something! A custom pointer! It will appear when you hover your mouse over the puppet. I want to make it so that when you interact in certain ways it changes, like when you pat it on the head!

Moondrop's Devlog - Desktop Puppet Pointer
Behold, the hand of a friend!

I am also working on an icon for the app. It is going to look like a toybox with a quilt/blanket coming out of it! The point is to look like where you would store the puppet when you are away or busy, so that it is personable and friendly.

Moondrop's Devlog - Desktop Puppet Desktoppuppeticon
Sort of mockup/sketch of it so far

That is all I have right now! Very, very little. I have loose concept sketches but they are far too messy.
Back to top Go down
Raecaw

Raecaw

PostSubject: Re: Moondrop's Devlog - Desktop Puppet   Moondrop's Devlog - Desktop Puppet I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 27, 2023 10:06 am

hope this is the right place to comment on this - this is such a great idea and i'm super looking forward to seeing this progress! I love a lil desktop buddy, i used to super enjoy shimeji back in the day. I think I had mostly homestuck, vocaloid, and other anime shimeji.

Also a big fan of neko atsume, so I'm excited about the customization options.

Keep it up! you've got a fan over here Very Happy

MumiMoondrops likes this post

Back to top Go down
MumiMoondrops

MumiMoondrops

PostSubject: Re: Moondrop's Devlog - Desktop Puppet   Moondrop's Devlog - Desktop Puppet I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 27, 2023 10:09 am

Raecaw wrote:
hope this is the right place to comment on this - this is such a great idea and i'm super looking forward to seeing this progress! I love a lil desktop buddy, i used to super enjoy shimeji back in the day. I think I had mostly homestuck, vocaloid, and other anime shimeji.

Also a big fan of neko atsume, so I'm excited about the customization options.

Keep it up! you've got a fan over here Very Happy

yes, this is absolutely the right place to comment! i do not mind comments at all, as it helps me receive feedback + see what others think about the project.

i have not made substantial progress since i have been busy with various things. however, i did fix the issue with the start-up screen not being transparent! i also updated the engine to 4.1.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Moondrop's Devlog - Desktop Puppet   Moondrop's Devlog - Desktop Puppet I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Moondrop's Devlog - Desktop Puppet
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Art Anarchy :: Creative zone :: Game development-
Jump to: