Art Anarchy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Are you an artist? Writer? Musician? Or maybe just a creativity appreciator who likes to support others. Do you want to take the web back from the hands of CEOs and social media and algorithms? Join us. Let's revive the web.

HomePortalCalendarLatest imagesFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Art history thread

Go down 
+5
yugocar
anal0g-andr0id
singingmousai
8bitdyke
Totel
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Totel
Admin
Totel

Art history thread Empty
PostSubject: Art history thread   Art history thread I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 05, 2023 7:34 pm

So.............
who are your fav painters? Pieces of art?

personally, for me, it will always be henri de tolouse-lautrec. <3
just LOOK AT THIS

Art history thread ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fimages.fineartamerica.com%2Fimages%2Fartworkimages%2Fmediumlarge%2F2%2Fwoman-at-her-toilette-1896-musee-d-orsay-painting-oil-on-cardboard-1-henri-de-toulouse-lautrec

and his posters... perfection

Art history thread ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fcdn.shopify.com%2Fs%2Ffiles%2F1%2F2238%2F5375%2Fproducts%2FMoulin_Rouge_t_Latrec_1024x1024%402x

i'd also (surprisingly) mention andy warhol as well. idk, i just love the guy, and entire fetishization of corporate products is really interesting to me.
Back to top Go down
https://art-anarchy.forumotion.me
8bitdyke

8bitdyke

Art history thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Art history thread   Art history thread I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 05, 2023 11:21 pm

would like 2 strike a blow for Henri Privat-Livemont and art noveau looook at these beauties

Art history thread Art-nouveau-poster-by-henri-privat-livemont-1861-1936-v0-zidkyzozeym81

Art history thread Privat-livemont-art-nouveau-window-vague-golf-wave-saintenoy-detail

i'm not very well versed in art history and so i don't really have favourite artists but i love art noveau !!!

yugocar and Split_bug like this post

Back to top Go down
singingmousai

singingmousai

Art history thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Art history thread   Art history thread I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 06, 2023 12:05 am

oh you guys are hitting on ALL of my favorites rn.

i think my #1 favorite will always be mucha.
Art history thread Mucha-Summer-1060x1992

but i also reeeeaaally love leyendecker!
Art history thread Db3efc28b3aafce2172046eec0c1fd76

i've been getting a lot more into the golden age of illustration lately, and i think some of my other faves in that movement are maxfield parrish and elizabeth shippen green.
Art history thread 942174-2-medium Art history thread Tumblr_lq74tga33Q1qidnqfo1_500

anal0g-andr0id likes this post

Back to top Go down
anal0g-andr0id

Art history thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Art history thread   Art history thread I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 06, 2023 1:46 am

ahhh i also adore leyendecker! been looking into getting a book of his stuff for a long while now, I want to study his process... the curves of his figures and the way he uses light and color really makes all his work so lovely to look at, even the sock advertistments lmao
Back to top Go down
Totel
Admin
Totel

Art history thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Art history thread   Art history thread I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 06, 2023 8:01 am

art nouveau IS SUCH A GORGEOUS STYLE. and not only in painting and illustration, BUT ARCHITECTURE AS WEEEEELL! i personally love brutalism, but also, art nouveau architecture??? PURE BEAUTY.

Art history thread ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi.redd.it%2F69qct24jdb001
Art history thread ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi.redd.it%2Fua0qc6mehzrz

as a society, we should really go back to this.

Split_bug likes this post

Back to top Go down
yugocar

yugocar

Art history thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Art history thread   Art history thread I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 06, 2023 12:53 pm

oh my god heres the thread, yes!! (i might also have to make one for art theory text if thats cool! might be just me interested, but i'd love to post small bits from texts i've read in case anyone else is interested!) i love all the artists posted so far! maxfield parrish and elizabeth shippen green are new to me so i'll check them out! an artist i fell in love with a couple years ago is ida applebroog. both her work and lifestory are incredibly interesting!

Art history thread Ida-applebroog_noble-fields_1987_aware_womenartists_artistes-femmes-1500x1008

Art history thread EuMyBxbHFh4ZvF5bzSC2jQ-1920-80.jpg

i have loads more i'd love to share but i'll think i'll start one artist at a time in an attempt to not spam too much  Art history thread 1f605

DesDemonical likes this post

Back to top Go down
Totel
Admin
Totel

Art history thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Art history thread   Art history thread I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 06, 2023 1:01 pm

don't worry, simply open the thread if you'd like! ^u^ i think art theory thread is a great idea.
Back to top Go down
Raecaw

Raecaw

Art history thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Art history thread   Art history thread I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 07, 2023 3:34 am

I always loved Degas' ballet dancers because it gave me a sense of nostalgia!

Art history thread ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fstatic.mfah.com%2Fapp%2Fimages%2F797aae4b-b61c-4f07-a63a-38616495c36b

this one in particular.

I somehow scraped through Art History at university once but I couldn't tell you much about what I learned LMAO

Big fan of ceramic works though. After finding out how wild Raku firing is I have a massive respect for that style. Just set that bitch on fire yknow?
Back to top Go down
Totel
Admin
Totel

Art history thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Art history thread   Art history thread I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 07, 2023 7:37 am

oooooh degas' work is absolutely beautiful. i love him so. T_T

it's incredible how he captured movement, especially with dancers yk, moving so fast. and his compositions are WONDERFUL, absolutely wonderful, as well as use of colours.

Art history thread ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fprintart.com%2Fmedia%2Fcatalog%2Fproduct%2Fcache%2F1%2Fimage%2F9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95%2Fi%2Fm%2Fimg_57601

just look at the shading, the light, the contrast! it's absolute joy to see it.
Back to top Go down
Split_bug

Art history thread Empty
PostSubject: Gothic architecture    Art history thread I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 07, 2023 3:57 pm

Just wanna contribute with Gothic architecture, specifically churches, cause my lords they are gorgeous

With the spires, the tall insides, the arches which end in a point. The general awe it inspires, the colours which the rose window generates.

yugocar and 8bitdyke like this post

Back to top Go down
yugocar

yugocar

Art history thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Art history thread   Art history thread I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 07, 2023 4:01 pm

Split_bug wrote:
Just wanna contribute with Gothic architecture, specifically churches, cause my lords they are gorgeous

With the spires, the tall insides, the arches which end in a point. The general awe it inspires, the colours which the rose window generates.

they are lovely!! any particular ones you love, or an element in their architecture you really enjoy? Smile
Back to top Go down
neonUFO (tiredsleepy)
Meow Meow Vampyr
neonUFO (tiredsleepy)

Art history thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Art history thread   Art history thread I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 08, 2023 7:08 pm

ohh great thread so far!!

One of my favourite historical artists is Ludwig Deutch an Orientalist artist from late 19th/early 20th century who painted beautifully coloured realistic scenes based on the photographs he took in Cairo
The architectural and clothing details and colours in his works blows me away.

Art history thread Ludwig-deutsch-praying-in-the-blue-mosque-cairo-oi-painting-on-canvas

click for a few more pictures:
Back to top Go down
https://neonufo.carrd.co/
DesDemonical

DesDemonical

Art history thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Art history thread   Art history thread I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 13, 2023 6:47 pm

big fan of leyendecker as well over here!

I am also a big fan of Joseph Zbukvic's watercolors- he has such a sense of depth and lighting and atmosphere.
Art history thread ImageArt history thread Image

I also love Hirohiko Araki's artwork for JoJo's Bizarre Adventure and Hiromu Arakawa's (Fullmetal Alchemist) art.

one of my favorite modern illustrators is Victo Ngai. She has such a perfect understanding and artistic execution of design, layout, and style.
Art history thread Eternal_sunshine_massive

yugocar likes this post

Back to top Go down
yugocar

yugocar

Art history thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Art history thread   Art history thread I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 15, 2023 12:45 pm

Been a fan of Victo Ngai for a while, her work truly is just an incredible balance of so many different artistic elements. Going to toss in another artist, who in my opinion was truly exceptional. All the pieces are from her most notable work "Leben? oder Theater?" She was a german-jewish artist who lead a difficult life, and unfortunately had an awful death. During her life she managed to make "Leben? oder Theater?" which is composed of approximately 1700 works, mostly gouache works with about 200 transparent papers with text. The work is largely autobiographical, while the form is both a musical composition and a drama script. I highly recommend checking out more of the pieces from the book.

Art history thread Charlo15
Art history thread Charlo13
Art history thread Charlo14
Art history thread Charlo16

DesDemonical likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Art history thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Art history thread   Art history thread I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Art history thread
Page 1 of 1