Art Anarchy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Are you an artist? Writer? Musician? Or maybe just a creativity appreciator who likes to support others. Do you want to take the web back from the hands of CEOs and social media and algorithms? Join us. Let's revive the web.

HomePortalCalendarLatest imagesFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

The Last Unicorn theme song analysis

Go down 
AuthorMessage
neonUFO (tiredsleepy)
Meow Meow Vampyr
neonUFO (tiredsleepy)

The Last Unicorn theme song analysis Empty
PostSubject: The Last Unicorn theme song analysis   The Last Unicorn theme song analysis I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 29, 2023 9:14 pm

The Last unicorn is one of my favourite movies and its theme song has stayed with me ever since I first heard it.
Beautiful, melancholic, haunting, hopeful, basically a perfect song for the story it represents.

I wrote a very brief post about this before on my tumblr, but I've been wanting to go more in-depth and expand it at some point, so I'll be doing that here!

When the last eagle flies over the last crumbling mountain
And the last lion roars at the last dusty fountain
In the shadow of the forest though she may be old and worn
They will stare unbelieving at the last unicorn

The song opens up with the world ending.
The last eagle, the crumbling mountains, the dusty fountains.
All eyes turn, with disbelief, on something old and magical.

When the first breath of winter through the flowers is icing
And you look to the north and a pale moon is rising
And it seems like all is dying and would leave the world to mourn
In the distance hear the laughter of the last unicorn

I'm alive, I'm alive

As the winter pushes the world to mourn the loss of everything alive and warm.
But there is one thing announcing that it is still alive, and the music rises with her shout.

When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning
And the future has passed without even a last desperate warning
Then look into the sky where through the clouds a path is torn
Look and see her how she sparkles, it's the last unicorn

I'm alive, I'm alive

This verse reiterates what was implied in the second verse's change of seasons - the passage of time.
An unknown amount of time has passed, and as the narrator looks at the sky he sees the unicorn again, but this time she is not worn or old, she sparkles, she is beautiful, and she is alive.

I believe that this song is about the perseverance of hope and stories.
It's about how stories will be there to make things a bit more beautiful, even at the end of the world when everything else seems miserable and hopeless.
Furthermore, seeing as the last verse implies the passage of time, with the Unicorn looking more beautiful in the end than in the beginning, I believe it's also about how a story can stay with you forever, becoming more beautiful and important to you as you grow older.

The people in the world of The Last Unicorn don't really believe in stories anymore. They can't see magic when it's right in front of them, seeing the unicorn as a mere horse. Yet at the same time, people long to see magic. They gather in Mommy Fortuna's circus, looking in awe at her fake mythical beasts. This reflects how we often shed our belief in wonder and magic as we grow older, but even then we are eager to relieve those wonders and believe again, even if it's just for a moment.

"The Last Unicorn" by America says that it's possible to see hope and beauty in a world that seems like it's falling apart. The symbol for said hope and beauty is the unicorn, a creature of fairytales, as humans have always turned to stories to help us through.

At the end of the world, when it feels like there's nothing left to hope for, a story can help you cope.
When everything is cold and dead, hope is the one thing no force of nature can take from you.
And no matter how much time passes, you can still remember the story that gave you hope, and it can do so again.

The Last Unicorn theme song analysis Tumblr_ob58upITGa1uagjhxo1_r1_500

MumiMoondrops likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://neonufo.carrd.co/

The Last Unicorn theme song analysis
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Art Anarchy :: Creative zone :: Music-
Jump to: